Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Nurturing my relationship with the Holy Spirit

Like any relationship in life, our relationship with the Holy Spirit must be nurtured - daily.

In my relationship with Debbie, there are highs and lows - and I must do everything I can, each day, to draw closer to her - day by day.

It is the same with the Holy Spirit.

Here's what I know:  Our relationship with the Holy Spirit is daily.  Moment by moment.  Hour by Hour.

Here are some suggestions on how you and I can nurture our relationship with the Holy Spirit (daily):

Read God's Word.  Read God's word, but also take the time to let it speak to you.  It is not so much "how much you read," as "how much has God spoken to me through His Word?"

Have a meaningful conversation with God.  A good prayer guide would be your hand.  The thumb represents people who are nearest your heart - begin praying for them.  Then move on to the index finger or those who are an example and point the way - pray for them.  Next, the middle finger or those who are in places of temporal and spiritual authority.  The next finger, my weakest, are those in great need and vulnerability - pray for them.  And finally, the little finger, me - the smallest and the least.  Just a suggested prayer pattern.

Get rid of all sin, bitterness or unforgiveness.  I must daily (are you catching a theme here - daily) cleanse my soul from emotional impurities that have been allowed to "clog up" my relationship with the Holy Spirit.  Each night as I go to sleep, I must seek to do so with a clear conscience.

Be open to God's speaking to you throughout the day.  Pause, and ask, "Holy Spirit, what would you like to say to me?"

Seek to encourage or help someone whose need is greater than yours (reference the Good Samaritan - Luke 10:30-37).  I must rise above my concerns to enter in to the concerns of others.

Live one day at a time.  I can't be empowered to live the future unless I am empowered to live today.  Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not yet here, today is all we have.

Give myself, my total self to God for the day, each day.

Out of this daily relationship with the Lord flows the quality of life in which a connection to the Holy Spirit is nurtured and strengthened.  Out of that daily connection come the fruit of the spirit:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

A nurtured relationship with the Holy Spirit - daily.

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: