Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Waiting and trust

You have heard me say several times that I am not good at all at waiting.

It is true.

When the host or hostess at a restaurant says, "your table will be ready in 10 minutes," I about have a heart attack.

For most of you reading this - you are in a period of waiting.

There is something that you can't get by your own wit, by your own schemes, by your own finances, by your own endurance - you even tried your own charm.

And it is just not working to get that one thing that you long for - the thing that in actuality only God can give.

So you pray - and your bargain with God. 

"God I'll do anything.  I'll go to church.  I'll read books.  I'll read the Bible, I'll even listen to George's sermons (you must be really desperate)."

And nothing is working.

You even try manipulating God.

It doesn't work.

It is a season of waiting.

In the English language the word "wait" means stop, dead in the water, red light.

"I'm not going anywhere."

That's what it means in our language.

In the Hebrew language it means to "trust".

It has the connotation of putting your eyes on God and recognizing that during the time of waiting that He and He alone is the one who can answer your prayer.

It is recognizing that God is up to something good in your life.  God is teaching you and I something.  Just as important as receiving what you are waiting for - is the process of what God is taking you through.  He is building you up.  He is establishing godly character in your life. 

I guess what I am saying is this:  As a follower of Christ - there is always a purpose to our waiting times.

Easy to write - hard to put into practice.

Waiting can be hard (especially for those of us who don't like to wait).

But I encourage you today - during those times when nothing makes sense - and when what you are going through is not fair - when  you feel all alone in God's waiting room, to trust in God.

God simply says, "Trust me."

God says (and this is a word to your specifically) - God says, "Trust me, I have everything under control."

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: