Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

choosing to have joy

Here's what I know today:

Joy is a choice.

I choose to walk in joy.

There is such a temptation to walk by my feelings - to put my faith and hope in how I feel at any given moment - especially in the midst of trials.

However, I can't let my feeling tell me how to live.  Instead, I am to tell (if not command) my feelings to obey God - in the midst of difficult circumstances. 

I make the choice to rejoice and find joy in the junk of my life.

Pain is inevitable but misery is optional.

You and I can't avoid pain - but we can avoid joy.

God has given us such immense freedom that he will allow us to be as miserable as we want to be . 

So many are caught up in the "as soon as".

"As soon as I get well, I will do something for God."

"As soon as my kids are out of the house, I will have some devotional time with God."

"As soon as this problem is solved - I will really worship God."

As soon as, as soon as, as soon as.

Life will never be free from "as soon as'".

Why not worship today - and leave the whining to others?

To give you something practical - as you are driving around, I encourage you to recite the phrase "Praise the Lord" five times in a row - and get a little louder and more exuberant each time you say it (the person in the car next to you might think you are weird - but that's okay).

In fact, try it right now as you are reading this (each time a little bit louder).

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord!

Truly his name is great - and greatly to be praised.

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: