Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Being all that we can be

One of the slogans that the army used to use was that they were there to help people, "be all that they can be."

To reach their potential.

God wants you and I to "be all that we can be".

And like an army sergeant, God will inspect us from time to time.

He will check us out - to see if we are "battle ready" in the warfare that we fight against Satan and his demons.

And....to check us out - God will often use problems as a test.

Deuteronomy 8:2 tells us, "The Lord led you all the way in the desert these forty years to test you in order to know what was in your heart."

Testing.  Examination.  Problems. 

Those are not fun words.

Some days I feel like Mark Twain who said, "for me a change of trouble is as good as a vacation!"

God let the children of Israel wander around in the desert for 40 years and He gave them seven different tests and every single test they failed.  So God said, "Okay, one more lap around the desert!"

The Israelites spent 40  years dying in the desert while God was testing them and they failed every test.

Here's what I know:  problems reveal our character.  They reveal what is inside of us.

When you and I get under pressure (because our problems can seem to be overwhelming) it reveals how strong our faith in Christ is.

It reveals our strength of character.

Anybody can serve God and be happy during good times.

So maybe, just maybe, instead of asking, "why is this happening to me," we should be asking, "Lord, what are you trying to teach me."

I want to be ready for battle - how about you?  I want to "pass inspection," how about you?

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: