Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Driving and God's will

Driving in Chicago is a trip (pun attended).

One thing I quickly learned after moving here:  The right-a-way for the driver is always the direction they are going.  Everyone else is to yield to him or her.

It is the Chicago way.  (BTW, I learned quickly that if a car is turning left on a left turn signal - two cars (and sometimes even three) are permissible to turn left after the light has turned red).

Now let me rewind and say this:  If you are driving and headed for the highway, you will eventually have to drive on a service road, up onto the on-ramp, and then onto the highway.

You will have to merge into the traffic.  In order to merge, you will have to slow down and look behind you to pay attention to the rest of the cars on the highway.

They will be driving fast and you are responsible to merge with the traffic.  They are not merging with you.

You merge onto the highway because it is the most direct route to lead you to where you want to go.

Many of us want to get on the on-ramp and have the highway traffic - stop - to let us on, but that is not the way it works.

Am I right? 

God's will is that way.

God has a direction, a perfect will for your life.

God is going somewhere and He is the main highway.  He wants us to merge with Him and His program for our lives.

God is not trying to stop His program to merge with us.  That would be backwards. 

We are to submit ourselves to Him and His will for our lives.

That is one of the most important principles to understand if you are trying to find God's will. 

Be willing to submit yourself, in advance, to the direction of God for your life.

Some people say, if not think, "Lord, I'll go where you want me to go, as long as it is where I want to go."

Some people say, if not think, "Lord, I'll say what you want me to say, as long as it is what I want to say."

No!  Be willing to submit to God's will in advance.

Paul writes in Romans 12:2, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world (which is to demand the right-a-way).  But be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Submitting your mind and will to God - no matter where he leads you).  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing (pleasing to God) and perfect will).

My prayer today is this:  "Father, work your perfect will in my life.  I will go where you want me to go and say what you want me to say.  My life is in your hands.  I love you, Lord.  Amen."

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: