Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bitter Roots

I would like to go back to the book that I mentioned last week entitled, "Soul Detox" by Craig Groeshel.

He has a chapter in his book (chapter 5) that deals with the subject of bitterness.

Let me summarize with my own comments.

The number one temptation/sin that Christians deal with is bitterness.

Bar none.

Here's what I know:  Bitterness never draws us closer to God.

It is a "nonproductive, toxic emotion, usually resulting from resentment over unmet needs," as Craig writes.

The writer to the Hebrews states, "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.  See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many."  (Hebrews 12:12-14).

We can't control other people, but we can do everything we can to live at peace with everyone around us - and here's the difficult part - especially with those who have hurt us.

It is a fight.  It is a struggle to live in peace and harmony with everyone, especially with people who don't like you.  Or me.

Hebrews describes it as a root.  A deep root.

On the outside you look normal.  You fool others for a while.

Craig writes, "but on the inside your bitterness starts to boil."

We say things like, "I can't believe they did that to me.  I wouldn't treat my own worst enemy that way."  "They call themselves a Christian and act like that."  "I am going to hurt them as much as they have hurt me."

It's a poison, a cancer that can, in some cases, literally kill us.

I've heard people say something like this (after they have been hurt by someone):  "I wouldn't be surprised if something really bad happens to them.  They deserve it, you know."

"If I ever see them, there is no telling what I might do."

Or here's the big one, "I pray that God gives them what they really deserve."

Listen to me, bitterness destroys you more than it does the other person. 

The challenge is that bitter people usually don't know that they are bitter.

I quote from the book, "since they are so convinced that they are right, they can't see their own wrong in the mirror.  And the longer the root of bitterness grows, the more difficult it is to remove."

When I used to have a garden, I learned very quickly that if I didn't get a weed out by its root, the weed would grow back quickly.

Paul writes to, "get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."  (Ephesians 4:31-32).

In other words, we are to treat others as Jesus treats us.  We forgive as we have been forgiven.

Healing can take place as you forgive.  But that takes courage.

The courage to let go.  The courage to know that God says, "vengeance is mine."  That God will take care of that person and that situation. 

That it is not my job to "make everything right," or "everyone to get along."

Here is the word of the Lord today:  Take your hands off!

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: