Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Entitlement

One of the words that gets me into a "preaching Rambo" mood is the word entitlement. 

The word "entitlement" has become a part of our cultural language in 2012. Some people are suggesting that we are becoming a society of entitlement, where we everything we need or want is owed to us. 

When we don't get what we want we feel we have been treated unfairly. 

Now, to be fair, it is a natural human trait.  

No one likes the word, "no". 

However, that does not make it right. 

I see entitlement in people who: 

Feel the world owes them something.

Feel the government owes them something.

Feel everyone around them owes them something. 

They expect special treatment. 

One thing I am learning: The Chicagoland really struggles with this. 

Obviously, as a church leader, I see the word entitlement on a daily basis. 

I see kids who are and have grown up in the church feel that they can say or do anything - they feel they are entitled to special treatment. 

I see parents who have children who have grown up in the church feel that their child can say or do anything they want - they feel their children are entitled to special treatment. 

I see long time Christians feel like they can say or do anything - they feel like the church "owes" them special treatment. 

Can I share something with you? 

This world owes us nothing.  

Nothing. 

When I begin to think that the world owes me something - I always get into trouble.  

When I expect people to act a certain way because of something I have done - I always get into trouble. 

This especially applies in my relationship with God. 

We can begin to think that God "owes" us. 

That's why Jesus shares that we are "blessed" when we are poor in spirit. 

Tim Keller offers the following definition for what Jesus meant by being "poor in spirit": 

He writes, "It means seeing that you are deeply in debt before God, and you have no ability to even begin to redeem yourself. God's free generosity to you, at infinite cost to him, was the only thing that saved you." 

But many people today resist Jesus' teaching about our spiritual poverty.

Keller writes: 

"On the contrary, you believe that God owes you some things—he ought to answer your prayers and to bless you for the many good things you've done. Even though the Bible doesn't use the term, by inference we can say that you are "middle-class in spirit." You feel that you've earned a certain standing with God through your hard work. You also may believe that the success and the resources you have are primarily due to your own industry and energy." 

I would suggest that we remain faithful for what we do have in God - and continually walk with an attitude of thanksgiving for his grace and mercy. 

Just a thought for a Wednesday.

No comments: