Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Popping off

I have purposed in my heart that in 2012 I am going to really work on "popping off".

I am supposed to be a "man of God," but I still wrestle with saying things that I shouldn't in the heat of the moment.

My prayer is that I would continue to grow in this area.

I read something last week that really, really has helped me - and give me a target to shoot for.

Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback, this we all know.

One Super Bowl.  Consecutive wins (I don't know how many exactly - 12 this year).  Maybe another Super Bowl coming up.

Probably will be in the Hall of Fame some day.

Yet what really strikes me about Aaron Rodgers is his ability to live and act in a dignified way. 

When he first came into the NFL he sat on the bench behind Brett Favre.  For several years.  He had the arm.  He has the talent.  He studied.  He worked hard.

But even more than this - he kept his  mouth shut when a very hungry Green Bay fan base wanted him to play - and in doing so take a shot at Favre, who was doing absolutely nothing in the way of mentoring Rodgers.

That's a rare form of courage and toughness.

During this season of his life he sought out Steve Young, who had endured a similar, difficult apprenticeship behind the great Joe Montana.

Steve Young coached Rodgers with this statement by telling him this, "never, ever allow yourself the cheap thrill of saying something just to make yourself feel better for a moment because something is unfair or not right.  That always backfires on you.  It never works out in the long run.  And I'll tell you what:  I've given that advice to other people and they have not heeded it, because it's hard....just do your job.  Play football.  And the benefits are great when you just hang tough.  Don't play the victim.  Don't complain."

Good stuff. 

May we all be blessed with that kind of patience, courage and understanding.

Just a thought for a Thursday.

No comments: