Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

I love the church

I believe that at this stage in my pilgrimage on this planet, I can begin to say things like, "I have given my life for the church."

My ultimate allegiance has been to Jesus Christ, but my whole ministry life has been in service to His body - the church.

Jesus said in Matthew 16:18, "I will build My church."  And it is his church.

It is not "my church" or "your church" but it is "His church".

Some people see the church as a gas station. For some people today, the church is a place where you fill up your spiritual gas tank when you're running low. Get a good sermon, and it will keep you going for the week.

For others, the church is like a movie theater. For many people, the church is a place that offers entertainment. Go for an hour of escape, hopefully in comfortable seats. Leave your problems at the door and come out smiling and feeling better than when you went in.

Another view is that the church is like a drug store. For other people, church is the place where you can fill the prescription that will deal with your pain. For many the church is therapeutic.

For others still, the church is like a big box retailer. Other people see the church as the place that offers the best products in a clean and safe environment for you and your family. The church offers great service at a low price—all in one stop. For many people, the church is a producer of programs for children and young people.

The church is more than all of that.  It is a place of love, forgiveness and acceptance.  A place where I can grow in God and grow with others around me.

I love the church. 

I know that in over 30 years of serving different churches as both a pastor and a missionary, that it is worth it all.

Let me tell you why.

Let me tell you why I believe in the church.

In such a superficial world of tweets, short sound bites on face book and other ways of communicating, the church is one of the only places where issues such as death, judgment, relationship, purpose, lasting priorities, meaning in life, identity, heaven and hell are discussed.

The church gives you and I meaning and purpose.  I find my identity through a relationship with Jesus and His church.

The church stands upon the one absolute that we can all stand on - God's Word.  God's word is timeless.  Cultures may come and cultures may go - but God's Word endures.

The church is the only place where people (or should be the only place) care.  I mean really care.  Not for what you bring - but for who you are.  We are not concerned about where you have been, only where you are and where you are going.  Status and money mean nothing in God's church.  Only a heart that seeks after God.

The church gives.  And gives.  And gives. 

The church needs you.  And you need the church.

I love Jesus.  And I love the church.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: