Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I can't or I won't?

This past Sunday I shared one of my life verses from Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I love that verse.

It is a "can do" verse.

I like to hang around "can do" people.  Those who don't make excuses.

The polar opposite of "I can" is "I can't".

When asked to minister, to volunteer, many times Christians will respond in the following:

"I will go home and pray about it."  Translation?  That means it is a flat out "no."

"I will go home and speak with my spouse about it."  Again, not much of a chance there.  You might see snow in the Sahara desert first.

Others say, "I just can't.  I'm too busy."  Well, I understand that and even empathize with that.  Some of us need to learn to say no.  We can't do everything.

But then there are those who say, "I can't," but what they really mean is, "I won't".

"I don't want to do that."

Some Christians say:

"I just can't get along with my spouse."

"My spouse and I can't communicate."

"I can't discipline the kids like I should."

"I just can't give up the affair I'm having."

"I can't stop overeating."

"I can't find the time to pray." 

"I can't quit gossiping."

"I can't help out at the church."

What they really mean is this:

"I just won't get along with my spouse."

"My spouse and I won't communicate."

"I won't discipline the kids like I should."

"I just won't give up the affair I"m having."

"I won't stop overeating."

"I won't find the time to pray."

"I won't quit gossiping."

"I won't help out at the church."

Those who are non-Christians have every right and reason to use the word, "can't".

Why?  Because they really "can't".  They aren't connected to Christ.  They aren't relying on the Holy Spirit.

They are victims, trapped and bound like wounded animals in a trap set by Satan and our culture.

Here's what I know:  it is very hard to do anything without Christ.

It is hard to change anything without Christ.

It is hard to commit to anything without Christ.

But with Christ?  I can do all things.

Is there a "won't" in your life that you've been calling a "can't"?  Give that over to the Lord today.

And memorize Philippians 4:13.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: