Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Intercession and spiritual warfare

We are in a spiritual battle.  I taught on that last Sunday.

We are soldiers of the King.

Here's what I know:  It is important for us to realize that the battle that we fight with our spiritual enemy is not to be fought alone.  In a vacuum.  By ourselves.

There is simply no reason for any soldier in God's army to fight on their own!  That includes you and that includes me.

Let me give you a movie plot from many a war flick that I have seen.

A group of men from very different backgrounds wind up in the military and are expected to serve in the same platoon together. 

At first - they don't get along.

But as time passes and they face life-threatening situations on the battlefield, they bond together.

They go from being selfish, only looking out for themselves, to being one unit.  Looking out for each other.

And...one of them - probably the most selfish one of the group - ends up literally taking a bullet for the rest - and their lives are spared.

Here's the principle:  When we are at war (in our case a spiritual war) and the bullets are flying, that is the time that we really do need each other.

We, as followers of Christ, are all fighting on the same side, and we are expected to bond together and to help each other out.

If one of us takes some demonic fire from temptation or adversity, the others should step in to help by praying for God to intervene.

It is called intercession.

I can't always be with everyone in our church, at every moment of every day.  But I can intercede for them.

I can't always be with my children or my wife at every moment of every day.  But I can intercede for them.

I can petition God and pray on behalf of those around me.

I would suggest that right now, at this moment, there are people that are in your life who need you to lift them up to God in prayer.  You might not even be aware of their need, but perhaps the Holy Spirit is tugging on your heart to intercede.

Don't let that feeling pass.  Begin right at this moment, this instant to pray.  To intercede for that person that God is leading you to pray for.

And the battle will be won!

Greater is He who is in us than he who lives in the world!

No comments: