Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 30, 2010

People before projects

Our district superintendent made a comment (which I have heard him make before) during his sermon that (and he was looking at me) now you can "get back to pastoring" (the first phase of our building program being through).

What he meant by that is that during a building program, there is a tremendous amount of responsibility that a lead pastor deals with concerning the process.  Meetings, conferences, dealings with contractors, government officials and lawyers.

I did my best to keep practical ministry to the forefront. 

However, one of the benefits of having a lull in our building process is that I can go back to focusing in entirely on people. 

After all, "People" is what this whole thing is about.

You and me.  Our needs.  Our hurts.  Our wounds.  We really need each other.

People don't care how much you know (or do) until they know how much  you care.

This Saturday, I am starting a life group for men ages 18-40.  I am really looking forward to the process of discipling around 7-8 men.  If you are reading this and would like to come - come.....we have three more slots left open.  9:00 A.M. - 10:00 A.M.  First and Third Saturdays.  Conference room at the church.

It's sheer, hands on ministry.

Henri Nouwen writes, "A few years ago I met an old professor at the University of Notre Dame.  Looking back on his long life of teaching, he said with a funny twinkle in his eyes:  "I have always been complaining that my work was constantly interrupted, until I slowly discovered that my interruptions were my work." 

"This is the great conversion in life:  to recognize and believe that the many unexpected events are not just disturbing interruptions of our projects, but the way in which God models our hearts and prepares us for his return."

Great stuff.

May I be "interrupted" many times today.

With much love.....George

No comments: