Total Pageviews

Monday, March 15, 2010

thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

Busy, busy weekend.

Friday afternoon, I drove down to Lincoln, Illinois, to teach a class on First and Second Corinthians. The class is part of the Illinois School Of Ministry (Illinois Assemblies of God District).

I always enjoy the experience, as it gives me a chance to participate in a forum that takes me out of my "box" at Stone Church.

I hear the heart of ministry ordination candidates and "lay people" alike. Great stuff. Great time.

I love sharing my stories - stories that encourage others in ministry.

I applaud the district for promoting and using the Global University courses.

One thing I have to say about my trip - Interstate 55 between Chicago and St. Louis is one of the most boring drives I have ever taken in my entire life. Flat. No scenery. To stay awake, I listened to talk radio....and even at that it was tough.

Sunday morning....my topic was "how could a loving God send people to hell"?

One side benefit of speaking on hell - it calls off the "barking dogs" who clamor for a sermon on the subject. I always smile at this as if what is ultimately going to convince someone to have a connection with God is the idea that if they don't, they will end up in a place of fire and brimstone for eternity.

I'm not quite sure that - that is the ultimate motivation that will lead people to Christ.

However, and it is a big HOWEVER, at the end of the second service, 8 or 9 people did raise their hands to say, "please pray for me - I would like to start a relationship with God." Powerful stuff. A wonderful sense of God's presence.

Hell is real. Hell is horrible. Hell is not a place you want to go to.

Yet, as a follower of Jesus Christ, my greater responsibility, when it comes to the subject, is to lead people to Christ.

To paraphrase C.T. Studd, "Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell."

That speaks to me.

Our church is not a country club. Our church is not a social club. Our church is not a place where people come to watch some good music and applaud and hear the preaching and feel good when they leave. Our church is a place where we take the challenge from Christ seriously, to go into all the world and preach the gospel.

Other quotes from C.T. Studd:

"If Jesus Christ is God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for Him."

"When his critics told him to go home, that he had done enough, he replied, "God has called me to go, and I will go. I will blaze the trail though my grave may only become a stepping stone that younger men may follow."

May God send us people who feel that intensity in their lives to serve Him.

No comments: