Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 04, 2010

celebrities and taking God for granted

Over the years, I have seen (in person) or met, Reggie White, Kevin Garnett, Jerome Bettis, Joe Jackson (who will be at our church in May - he played for the Minnesota Vikings and the New York Jets and is now a minister), and now Dan Hampton.

Dan Hampton used to play with the Chicago Bears and is now in the Hall of Fame. His nickname was the "Danimal" because he played with such ferocity. He played on Buddy Ryan's 46 defense that was a huge part of the Bears winning the super bowl in 1985.

6-5, playing weight around 265. Big guy. Big hands.

Well, Dan was at our church the other day for our annual Pinewood Derby event (where the boys and girls from our Impact and Royal Ranger programs make wooden cars and race them). His son attends our Royal Ranger ministry.

Nice guy. Did I say he was big? Big guy.

We talked about football. He told me that the night before he had been at a football banquet with Y.A. Title and I believe Bob Lilly. I could have listened to him talk about football for hours.

Dan played college football at Arkansas with Frank Broyles and Lou Holtz as his coaches.

When I told him I was a die hard Dallas Cowboy fan, his response was, "why"? I guess Mike Ditka scouted him for the Cowboys when Hampton was at Arkansas.

It was fun talking to him. I think we are all a little bit awed when we have a chance to meet celebrities. I know that I was in meeting him.

Did I mention that he is a "big guy"?

However, every time I do meet a celebrity, I can't help but walk away thinking that I have a personal relationship with the biggest celebrity of all time. God.

The creator of the universe. The alpha and omega. No disrespect toward Dan Hampton, but God really is the "big guy" that I long to get to know.

And...I can't help but wondering if we feel that same kind of awe and excitement when we meet with God. Oh, I understand that because we have access to God on a daily basis that we can sometimes take Him for granted.

But perhaps, just perhaps, we can all stop today and lift our voices to God and rejoice that we know the Kings of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

Perhaps we can ask the Holy Spirit to renew that sense of awe and excitement, especially as we gather together as a church family this Sunday.

"Father, may we never take you for granted!"

No comments: