Total Pageviews

Monday, March 16, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend.

Thoughts from the weekend:

I had a great weekend. Busy. It's been three weeks since my last day off, but God is doing some great things.

This past Friday evening and Saturday, I was asked to teach a group of pastors on the subject of First and Second Corinthians. I then spent a considerable amount of time teaching on the subject of conflict in the church.

I explained to the students that I have made church conflict a life long study, probably because sometimes I am good at it and sometimes I am not. I have a lot to learn. I've learned a lot but I still have a lot to learn.

It was fun to dialogue with a group of men and women who were there with purpose. They wanted and want to grow and to learn and to do their best to fulfill God's calling on their life.

By the way, the class was taught at Lincoln Christian College in Lincoln, Illinois. No disrespect to those who live in Lincoln, but as I was driving in I thought to myself, "I am so glad I don't live here."

I love living in Chicago. Having pastored in small towns before, I am sooooo happy to be back in a large city. I know, I know, some of you like living in a small town and that's okay, more power to you. But for me, wow, I love it here.

Yesterday was phenomenal. Our guest speaker was Gil Jones, the pastor of Pathways Community Church in inner city Denver and a representative of RSI, our consulting firm. He was the former pastor of Flatirons Community Church, a body of believers that grew to over 5000 under his leadership.

His presentation was exceptional.

We learned that during these difficult financial times - we must "embrace uncertainties". We must put our arms around (to use my words) the financial struggles that our country is going through (and perhaps we are going through individually)and let God's peace and joy reign supreme in our lives.

We must "cling to God" is how Gil put it.

God is in control. Lately, I've been saying it over and over again - God is in control.

Had a great lunch with the Vales and Hollowell and dialogued concerning their small group. I am grateful and excited that their small group is going so well. They are excellent leaders and the potential of our life groups is incredible! It is a group with a lot of kids.

If you have smaller kids and are looking for a life group to attend, please feel free to contact them.

At our own life group last night, we had an excellent discussion. We discussed: Which would you rather be known as:

A man or woman of faith, joy, peace or integrity.

Choose one. While they are all kind of combined together, which one would you choose to be known as? ________ Fill in the blank with your name, is a person of ______choose one of the four options.

What I know is that the enemy (the devil) will attack us in the area that we consider our strength and not necessarily our weakness. Here's what I also know, others will attach you in your area of strength as well or that area in which you would never think of going.

For instance, if integrity is a "big deal" to you, the enemy and others, will attack you in that area. The same with faith, joy and peace.

Amazing stuff. Great dialogue. I appreciate the closeness that we are beginning to feel as a group.

Just some thoughts on a Monday....

No comments: