Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Loving the challenge

Relocating a church family is a challenge to say the least. It takes a lot of faith, courage and persistence.

The economy is down.
Change is hard.
Some won't take the journey with us.

Rough stuff.

Yet, I love the challenge.

While meeting with high-some high level executives in Washington D.C. the week after the presidential election, John Maxwell overheard one of the men say, "I sure wouldn't want to be the next president of the United States with all the economic problems facing this country."

Maxwell's response: "I would love to be Barack Obama right now...You show me a person who's a great leader, and I will show you a person who loves a great challenge. That is the DNA of leadership. Leaders are not looking for the easy way out or quick exits; they love to be 'over their heads.'"

When I played basketball in high school and college, when the game was on the line, I always, always wanted the ball.

Win or lose, I loved the challenge.

Yet, whether I love the challenge or not, the key is always, always a dependence on the Holy Spirit. I can have all the good intentions in the world, but if God is not present, guiding, leading and empowering, it will fail.

Ephesians 3:20 is becoming one of my life verses during this time: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."

His power at work within us. This is why leaders love a challenge. It's why winners want the ball when the game is on the line.

Let's all join together to see this challenge through. And after the project is completed, we will rejoice together at God's goodness to us.

No comments: