Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 19, 2009

My March Madness predictions

"March Madness" is upon us. A great time of year, especially if you are a college basketball fan.

I love the passion, enthusiasm and sheer joy of the teams, players and coaches during the tournament. It seems to bring out the best of what sports are all about.

I've been so busy that I really haven't had time to analyze the field of 65 teams, but let me have a go of at least predicting the final four.

Last year's final four of the four top number one seeds participating is a rarity and I think the pattern of a "Cinderella team" in the final four will hold true this year.

Anyway, here's what I predict.

Final Four:

South Regional - North Carolina:

While they have been up and down all year, if Ty Lawson is playing at the point, they will be in the final four. I also see Tyler Hansbrough "willing" them to win.

East Regional - Pittsburgh:

Gritty team that is short on style but long on substance. Beastly.

West Regional - Connecticut:

Great team that if they can stay focused will be in the final four.

Midwest Regional - Kansas:

While this might be a surprise, and while it's hard to think of Kansas as a "Cinderella team", I think Coach Self and his staff will have them ready to play, even in a rebuilding year. This region is tough for me because my heart is with Michigan State - I would really like to see them go "all the way," but they have been so up and down all year that I don't think that it is possible.

Title game:

North Carolina versus Connecticut

Winner:

North Carolina - 76-68.

Remember: You read it here first.

No comments: