Total Pageviews

Monday, March 02, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

Christie, Becky and I went to a Chicago Blackhawks game on Friday evening. We had a great time.

It was my first professional game. Not being a big hockey fan (but wanting to see more games) several things happened that I wasn't aware of when we went.

The first was when the national anthem was sung. As the person sang, the whole crowd cheered, and cheered loudly. I had never heard that kind of cheering before as the anthem was sung.

Apparently, it started when some Canadians booed during the playing of our national anthem back in the early 1990's. The cheering is not only to celebrate our American tune, but to make sure that any booing that does take place will not be heard.

Secondly, after Jonathan Toews (the Blackhawks great player) scored his third goal (or apparent third goal - it was nullified) hard hats (they handed them out before the game, they were plastic hard hats) and other caps begin to fly out on the ice.

I found out that it is tradition that when a player scores a "hat trick" or three goals in one game that people are free to throw their hats out on the ice. This game included the hard hats that they handed out to the first few thousand fans that entered the United Center before the game.

Great stuff.

Well, Toews went on to score another goal to officially make it three goals for the evening, so out the hats came again!

I really enjoyed being with my girls. They are great.

And...of course..with my granddaughter Georgia. She is such a sweetheart. And as I said the other day, Christie is such a good mother.

I enjoyed playing with Georgia all weekend, and even got to show her off during the second service on yesterday.

I appreciated our church family's willingness to let me do so.

Yesterday, we had great services. I am praying and hoping that the "snowball" effect of building up to our commitment Sundays will continue. By faith, we are going to see the entire 3 million raised in cash and pledges!

I appreciated Frank and Sandy Wolf's prayer of faith Sunday morning.

George is also at our house with 3 friends from Evangel. So we have a full house!

Let me tell you, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, there is nothing like spending time with family.

No comments: