Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

CE Christians

What is a CE Christian? Someone who comes on Christmas and Easter.

I saw a cartoon in Leadership Journal in which a church attender is shaking hands with the pastor after Easter service, and says, "You're in a rut, Reverend. You preach on the resurrection every time I come here."

They are a CE Christian. Someone who will attend church only once this year, or maybe twice.

I read of a pastor who said one Easter Sunday, "We may as well announce the date for our Christmas program today, because that's the next time we'll see some of you." It got a laugh, but I'm pretty sure the casual attenders didn't find it endearing.

I trust that you will invite someone to come this Easter Sunday, whether they are a CE Christian or not. Easter Sunday is a wonderful time to connect family and friends who are "casual Christians" (an oxymoron) to come and receive a challenging teaching concerning the fact that because He is risen (and He is) and that you and I can manage our problems and overcome our regrets.

I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: