Total Pageviews

Monday, March 17, 2008

Beginning and ending with God

Henri Nouwen is one of my spiritual heroes. Here is one of his prayers from his book, "A Cry for Mercy."

"Listen, O Lord, to my prayers. Listen to my desire to be with you, to dwell in your house, and to let my whole being be filled with your presence. But none of this is possible without you. When you are not the one who fills me, I am soon filled with endless thoughts and concerns that divide me and tear me away from you.

Every day I see again that only you can teach me to pray, only you can set my heart at rest, only you can let me dwell in your presence. No book, no idea, no concept or theory will ever bring me close to you unless you yourself are the one who lets these instruments become the way to you.

But Lord, let me at least remain open to your initiative; let me wait patiently and attentively for that hour when you will come and break through all the walls I have erected. Teach me, O Lord, to pray. Amen."

I would suggest that our relationship with the Lord is very cyclical. It begins with God and ends with God. God draws me to Him. (The Scriptures teach us, "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you - James 4:8) I respond. He helps me break through all of the "noise" of the day, and when I do, He communicates with me and I leave His presence knowing that he is in control.

It all begins and ends with God.

God increase our desire for you!

No comments: