Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Reading in 2008

Happy New Year! We had a great time with family and friends the past couple of weeks!

I've been asked several times recently about some of the books I am reading. As you read them below, I would ask that anyone reading this blog give their suggestions as well as to what you are reading and what you would recommend. I trust that one of your New Year's resolutions is to read more, to learn more, to expand your mind and your world view. May we all continue and mature to grow not only spiritually, but mentally and emotionally as well!

One disclaimer: I do not agree with everything written in every book that I am reading or recommend. It is not an endorsement of every line and every paragraph of the book. Some books I read, I read to learn other viewpoints, other ways of looking at things.

Over Christmas I read: "The Innocent man" by John Grisham. A true story of what can happen in our legal system. I found it interesting that the main character in the story was ministered to by an Assemblies of God pastor.

I am reading the following books:

"UnChristian" by David Kinnaman. (What a new generation really thinks about Christianity...and why it matters). Have you ever wondered what people outside of the church think about our faith? Interesting stuff.

"Controlling the tongue" by R.T. Kendall. Anything by R.T. Kendall is great. The subtitle of the book is "mastering the what, when and why of the words you speak."

"The Looming Tower," by Lawrence Wright. The "Looming Tower," is an historical account of the rise of Al Qaeda up until 911. As I read it, I am gaining insights into the "why" of why radical Muslims don't appreciate our culture, and in fact, desire to conquer the world. The book won the Pulitzer prize for non fiction literature.

Another book was recommended to me by Neil Anderson called "Restored," - which I have not read.

Again, any books you would like to recommend. I am interested in what our church family is reading.

Chris Chapan emailed me this (Thanks Chris!):

"I am sure you already know about this but I have been listening since August to the Bible through ITUNES and this website. Brian Hardin reads through the Bible and I have really been blessed by it. You might want to mention it to anyone who might want to be reading through the Bible as their New Year's Resolution. I have read through and plan on it again several times and I have really enjoyed listening as well as reading.


http://www.dailyaudiobible.com/

They also have a daily proverb which they just stared."

No comments: