Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 05, 2006

How does God's timelessness affect prayer?

I read something today in a new book by Philip Yancey on prayer. It stopped me instantly while I was reading. I am still chewing on the concept.

God is timeless. He is beyond time. We experience time in sequence. There is a beginning a middle and an end. With God there is no sequential time. He is timeless.

Yancey writes this...Chew on this and let me know what you think.

"How does God's timelessness affect prayer? C.S. Lewis decided it altogether reasonable to pray at noon for a medical consultation that might have been conducted at ten o'clock as long as we do not know the final result before we pray. "The event certainly has been decided - in a sense it was decided 'before all worlds.' But one of the things taken into account in deciding it, and therefore one of the things that really cause it to happen, may be this very prayer that we are not offering." Lewis notes such a notion would be less shocking to modern scientists than to nonscientists."

The implication of this to me are astounding. If I am understanding Lewis right, I can pray for something that has already taken place, and see God's hand move as long as I don't know the answer to my prayer in the present.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Jon said...

God always IS! I've heard it put that God is always in the NOW! Whenever He is, it is now...so He can move at any point of now that He chooses. So, I agree with this concept that God can affect things even after they have occurred. Look at it this way...God is all knowing so He knows that you will pray two hours after that medical test...and when you pray, it's now for Him...so He can affect the results at the time--because it is still now for Him.

God created time for us...not for himself. We are restricted, and limited, by time...God is not. He exists outside of time and space, outside of any box we try to put Him in or try to understand Him by. God IS!

How does God describe Himself? He says, "I AM the Great I AM." Do you have a definition for that? I don't but every thing I can think of fits within that description. All things were created by God, come from God, and are therefore controlled and owned by God. He can affect all things at any point in space and time.

I love the Big Bang Theory. Not the one developed by Stephen Hawking (who by the way used imaginary numbers for his formulas and still couldn't state what caused the initial event) but the one created by God.

GOD SPOKE, AND BANG! IT HAPPENED!

God can speak in your life today. Give Him that chance. Open your life to Him, open your heart and let Him fill you with His love and presence. Until God fills the hole in your heart, you'll never be complete...once He does, you'll never want Him to leave!

Love God, Love People. It is by loving people that we show God how much we love Him. "In as much as you do unto the least of these, so do you unto me." Wise man, that Jesus...divine God with us.

May God bless you today and all the days of your life.

Jon