Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Solving problems part 2

We all have problems.

Next to the Law of Gravity, one of the most inescapable universal truths is undoubtedly Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will -- and at the worst possible moment."

A wide-ranging set of principles and corollaries have sprung up that make Murphy look like an optimist. When the Murphologists began looking at the church, here were some of their observations:

The year's lowest attendance occurs when the district superintendent makes a surprise visit.

Members living 15 miles away will be 15 minutes early; members living two blocks away will be 15 minutes late.

Film projectors work only before the service begins (we might update that with power point presentations).

When all five points of the sermon begin with the same letter, people don't even remember the letter.

Saying "Let us pray" or singing "Just As I Am" causes babies to cry.

When you're right, nobody remembers; when you're wrong, nobody forgets.

The previous pastor is to blame for everything wrong in the church -- until his successor leaves.

Nothing is so bad that it can't be made worse by changing pastors.

The shorter the agenda the longer the meeting.

No matter how many show up for choir practice, you need one more copy of the music.

Arguments for tabling a motion are always better than those for taking a vote.

Church furnaces and air conditioners rest on Sunday.

Absent choir members all sing the same part.

Concern for needy people increases with distance.

Car problems, overtime traffic, and sick headaches increase on visitation night.

Door-to-door visitation is most enjoyed when no one is home.

None of us really care to face our problems. To do so might mean confrontation, exposing some weakness in ourselves or others, time and even sacrifice.

Yet problems are to be faced - head on.

The longer we delay facing a problem, the bigger it will get.

Some people try to flee problems.

Others try to forget about them.

Others still try to fight them. They resist, but the problems still persist.

And finally some face them. They look at the problem realistically.

Another suggestion is to evaluate the problem.

Some problems can be solved instantly. Others take time. To discern the timing of the solution comes from experience (success/failure) and prayer.

We can embrace obstacles as opportunities.

They can be wakeup calls for creativity.

One idea that is helpful to me is to think of people who have bigger problems. For every problem that I have - there is always somebody with a bigger problem.

When a friend gets cancer or loses a loved one, then we are reminded of how petty our issues are.

Seek counsel from a friend (mentors, coaches).
Write down possible solutions.
Determine the best three ways to solve the problem. There is generally more than one way to solve the problem.

Pray. Pray. Pray.

I'm continually encouraged by the Holy Spirit's work in our lives when we take a problem to him in prayer.

Come Holy Spirit, we need you!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Recently, I got to have a conversation with a friend of mine about my (mostly) always cheerful attitude. He brought up an issue from last year when we didn't know if Kim had cancer or not. We knew she had a fast growing tumor but not yet what it was. He said, "In all that time of uncertainty, you were still happy and content. How?" Well, one reason is I know the Creator of the universe and He has promised that He will never give me more than I can handle. So, I rest in knowing that with Him, all things are possible and I can get through them if I rely on Him. The second reason that I gave to my friend was a predicament that we had gone through with our oldest son having a terminal illness. I related to my friend that losing a child, even when you spend years preparing for it and you know that s/he will be in heaven with Jesus, is the worst experience that you can go through. Now, some may disagree with me and that's all right...but I've lost a father early in life and I've lost all of my grandparents and I've dealt with severe illnesses and injuries with siblings, my wife, and myself...so I can just rest in my experience and my belief.

Anyway, I told my friend that God had used the situation with our son to teach us that He had provided us with strength if we reached out for it, comfort if we accepted it, and others to love in our other two sons...who were gifts from God as we were not supposed to be able to have natural born children. What others perceived as tragedy, we saw as God's preparation and gift. Kim's aunts were even betting with each other as to whether we were heavily medicated or just out of our minds!

Problems exist to teach us. Each problem has it's own lesson if we just learn to see it.

But remember God's promise...He will never allow you to receive more than you can handle. It is us who gives up, who surrender, who quail and quiver with fear in the face of adversity. God is still strong and waiting for us to reach out to Him in prayer and ask for help. Reach out in times of need but also reach out in times of joy...praise God for all things, good and bad, in your life. There are lessons in all of it.

Love God, love people.

Jon