Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 01, 2006

There is a doctrine that is becoming popular that teaches that a Christian can reach a point in their lives where sin no longer has an effect on them. They cease to sin.

Wow.

I always cringe when I hear a fellow follower of Jesus say something like, "well, I have that temptation under control! Moving on to something else."

The enemy will attack us many times NOT in areas that we consider our weaknesses, but in those areas we consider our strengths.

Of course the concept that we are beyond sin goes totally against the Word of God.

John writes in First John 1:8, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Hopefully, as we grow and mature as Christians sin has less of a hold on us, and we better able to resist temptation. But as long as we are in the flesh in this world of sin, we will wrestle with sinful desires and sin.

What's the key?

I Like like what Henri Nouwen has written.

Henri Nouwen once said in a Leadership journal interview:

"I cannot continuously say no to this or no to that, unless there is something ten times more attractive to choose. Saying no to my lust, my greed, my needs, and the world's powers takes an enormous amount of energy. The only hope is to find something so obviously real and attractive that I can devote all my energies to saying yes.

One such thing I can say yes to is when I come in touch with the fact that I am loved. Once I have found that in my total brokenness I am still loved, I become free from the compulsion of doing successful things."

You are loved by God. Let's focus in on that this day. Let's say no to sin and yes to the savior.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I don't think that we can ever be "free" of sin as long as we are on this earth. Sin exists here and that is why we are separated from heaven and God. What I truly love is the fact that I am separated from sin by the power of the Holy Spirit if I call upon Him. Jesus redeems (cleans) us from sin when we accept His sacrifice and salvation; the Holy Spirit keeps us separate if we but trust in Him and ask; God waits patiently for us in heaven, where we will be completely separate from sin. The problem is that we often choose not to ask the Holy Spirit for help in resisting sin, in resisting temptation. The Bible says that we will never be tempted beyond our ability to resist...that's powerful stuff but it also means that we make a choice. Flip Wilson used to say, "The Devil made me do it." That's just not true...the Devil may have tempted but it is our choice to act, to sin against our redeemed nature.

We must always fight against temptation and sin but God has provided us a guide, a helper, a friend to assist us...that person is the Holy Spirit. Use Him to make yourself strong against the Devil...James said, "Submit yourself therefore to God; resist the devil and he will flee from thee." The first part is the most important...we must submit our earthly desires to God so that we will be able to resist. Without submission, we are setting ourselves up for a fall as we think we are strong now. Pride goeth before a fall.

God loves you and wants you to join Him in sin free paradise...heaven. Make the decision to join Him today and ask the Holy Spirit to be with you in all situations to provide you with the proper guidance.

But know that we all fail at some time or another...there are no perfect Christians on this earth! The only perfect Christians are residing in heaven with Jesus right now. They have been given a new body and celebrate each day with Christ. We, on the other hand, look forward to that day when our struggles on this earth are over...not seeking to go early but in tune with God's plan for our lives...and we can join the host of heaven and be incorruptable!

Love God for He surely loves you more than you will ever be able to imagine. Love people because that's one way we return the gift of Christ to others.

God bless

Jon