Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Making wise decisions

I watched last Sunday as Phil Mickelson blew the last hole at the U.S. Open lose the tournament. He needed par, he ended up with double bogey.

At the press conference afterward, he exclaimed, "I am such an idiot." Golf wise, we would all agree. His shot selection choice on the 18th hole was horrible - one that we as amateurs make.

Decisions. Choices. They are so important in life. Sometimes I make good ones. Sometimes I make bad ones.

I have noticed a pattern. When I make a decision hastily, without any forethought, any prayer, any seeking counsel, I tend to make bad decisions.

When I make decisions based on my emotion at the moment, whether it be emotionally high or emotionally low, I tend to make bad decisions.

One thing I do know: A good decision always comes from seeking God's counsel first. Jesus said in Matthew 6:33, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and (then) all these things will be added unto you."

Three quick bullet points:

1. Even if I make a bad decision, God can bring about a "good decision" result. As Paul wrote, "All things (whether they be good or bad decisions) work together for good to them that love God and are called according to His purpose."

2. I learn the most through bad decisions. Bad decisions have a way of teaching us and helping us grow like nothing else.

3. I must never look back. I must learn from my bad decisions, but I must let them go and press on. We must continually look forward (I am so adamant about that, that I even have a hard time putting my car in reverse!).

May Jesus help us all to make good decisions this day.

No comments: