Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jesus can meet our every need

It’s a basic fact of human life – we all have needs. Some more than others. Physical needs. Spiritual needs. Emotional needs. Relational needs.

Here’s what I know about God. He never tires or gets weary when we come to Him on a daily basis with our needs. He never throws his hands up in frustration and says, “That’s it, I’ve heard enough. No more me-meeting-your-needs today!”

Wasn’t it Jesus who taught us to pray, “Give us this day our DAILY bread?”

God welcomes our petitions. God welcomes our prayers.

Right after John the Baptist had been martyred, Jesus and his disciples withdrew. It was a traumatic event and they craved some much needed rest and reflection. They needed to regroup their thoughts and feelings.

But the crowds learned the whereabouts of Jesus and followed him.

The Bible says, “He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God and healed those who needed healing.”

Instead of showing impatience at this interruption, Jesus welcomed the people and ministered to their needs. In the midst of his weariness, Jesus reached out to others.

Where God leads, he provides. He has done that over and over in scripture. He has done that in my life over and over.

Perhaps you’ve heard the song, “His Eye Is on the Sparrow.” Let me remind you of the words.

“Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart be lonely, and long for Heaven and home? When Jesus is my portion, my constant friend is he. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me, His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me. I sing because I’m happy – I sing because I’m free, for his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me.”

“Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds a-rise, when songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw closer to Him, from care he sets me free. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he cares for me, His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he cares for me. I sing because I’m happy – I sing because I’m free, for his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me.”

God is ready and more than willing to meet your need today. Come to Him. As Peter writes in First Peter 5:7, “Cast all your cares and anxieties upon Him for He cares for you.”

1 comment:

Beth said...

I am encouraged by this insight today. Yesterday I received some disappointing and very discouraging news. My husband and I thought for sure that our "blessing" was finally taking place after more than a year. I hurried into the doctor for confirmation, only to be let down once again. Pastor's blog teaches us that we should not be discouraged, because Jesus' eye is on the sparrow and he's watching over us. We should not let the hope within us die, but draw closer to him.