Total Pageviews

Monday, June 05, 2006

I think we all from time to time look over at our neighbor's lawn and think that their grass is greener than ours.

Yet, most of the time, I find that if I take the time to walk over and inspect their lawn, it's much like mine....they deal with crabgrass and even grubs like I do.

It's so easy to think that other situations are better...other families...other marriages...other churches.

For instance, in the midst of marital disagreement, it is not uncommon for a spouse to wonder if there isn't somebody with whom they would be more compatible.

Suleyman Guresci, of Izmir, Turkey divorced his wife of 21 years after a bitter six-year court battle. In an effort to find the ideal woman, Guresci turned to a computer dating service--the kind that evaluates your written profile and suggests matches for you.

Ironically, from a list of 2000 prospective brides, the computer selected his former wife, who (unbeknownst to Guresci) had signed up for the same service.

Guresci's response? He decided to remarry his wife just nine months after their divorce. He said, "I did not know that my ex-wife had been the ideal counterpart for a marriage. I decided to give it another try by being more tolerant toward her."

Your ideal mate might just be the one you've already married.

The principle Guresci learned also applies to a number of other areas in ourlives: our church, our ministry, our job, and so on.

C. Peter Wagner points out that one common characteristic of effective pastors is a commitment to stay: They're not looking for greener pastures.

Most of us understand the permanent nature of marriage/family relationships; we understand the need to approach problems at home with the attitude of "How can we make this work?" But we forget how important this attitude is the other areas. When trouble rears its head, instead of focusing on how to make things work, we often fantasize of finding a better place to be.

Just as God gave you your spouse and family, he placed you in your current circumstances. Maybe your job or your ministry is more than a little challenging, and maybe you'd like to move on. Think before you do. Think before you even allow yourself to daydream about it.

More than likely, God's plan is for you to work through this situation. Even if ultimately he calls you elsewhere, he wants you to resolve this issue before you go.

Just like Guresci learned about his marriage, your ideal situation might be the one you're in right now. So keep Paul's words in mind this week:

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)

3 comments:

Jon said...

Good words, George and Muse. It's never greener on the other side. I think Erma Bombeck had a book titled, "The Grass is Greener Over the Septic Tank." And that's what usually results when you jump without the blessing of God on your life. You end up realizing what is fertilizing that green, green grass or that the lawn is painted on like some folks in Arizona do.

Some of you know that I recently applied for a promotion at work that I didn't get. Some people would say that I was treated unfairly since I had been doing the job on an interim basis. I have lost count of the people at work that have asked me when I am leaving since I didn't get the job. That seems to be the most consistent response I get...the expectation that because things didn't go my way, I should go away to spite them. I have gently explained to them that I am not going anywhere, that I will be here doing my job until God directs me to do something else. I think that came as a surprise to most of them but especially to the selecting official...he really expected me to be upset and leave for "better" pasture. But this is my home that God has provided for me.

I've shared before that God spoke to me when I entered our church and told me I was home. It was the first church that we had visited in the area and there were a number of others on our list. But God spoke and I listened. I wish I could say I do that all the time but I'm human and sometimes struggle against His direction. He always wins in the end though! A second point that I've used to illustrate being in God's will for your life is the fact that He brought us to our house. We were living about 35 minutes away from the church (and we were there four-five nights a week at times) and prayed to find a house closer. We looked at several but they fell through for a number of reasons. We had given up for the year and then God led us to the back yard of the church one day and said, "Here you go, your home next to the church, enjoy!" So I like to say it's not truly our house but it is God's house on loan to us.

I say all of that to just remark: Seek God's will for your life before making any serious decisions. Seek God's will for your life before making any moderate level decisions. Basically, seek God's will for your life and you will be richly blessed for your obedience. The grass may seem greener on the other side but God's grass is greener than anything else. His lawn is immaculate from the roots to the tips, and He wants you to rest on it for eternity. So, measure your desires by God's will; He promises that if you are faithful, He will give you the desires of your heart. He also promises to care for you as He does the flowers and the animals, meaning He will provide all of your needs!

Love God for He surely loves you. Rest in His will and be blessed.

Jon

Beth said...

I just wrote a response, but somehow it did not show up. How does God expect us to respond when it seems like only one person in the relationship is looking for ways to "make it work?" Though one may think they are trying hard to make it work, it may not be that way in the other one's eyes. What if the current circumstances never seem to change? Lasting for years without much difference. Trial after trial - loss of jobs, broken families, health issues that never seem to resolve, the seeming inability to have children, and basic non-existance of intimacy or communication. Maybe God is waiting for something or someone to break down completely before there will be a change. I realize we must never give up, never quit praying, never quit trying. I suppose I've answered my own questions. And as Pastor says, God's plan is for you to work through this situation. The key word is work.

Teresa O. said...

Hi Beth. It's nice to "meet" you on George's blog. I think you did answer your own questions and the Lord will reward you for your faithfulness. I don't know where you are coming from with your question on "how does God expect us to respond..." If it's friendships, we can end unhealthy and ungodly friendships. If it's a marriage relationship, our church has gone through a book titled His Needs, Her Needs and it is a wonderful book on how to focus on the needs of your spouse. If both spouses can work through the book together, it is amazing how God can restore and build existing relationships. In everything, don't give up in prayer and knowing God is guiding you all along the way.