Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Leading a secret thought life

It's an incredibly humbling thought: we are no better or worse spiritually than our thought life.

So many are doing the Dr. Jekyll and Hyde thing - living one life on the outside and another on the inside.

Each of us leads a secret thought life which is signficantly different from the person we project to others? No? You don't think so? Than you are being deceived.

Some deal with the obvious: thoughts of lust and sex.

Others deal with a dream world of fantasies in which they make up these wild plans that would make them really wealthy, famous and powerful.

Still others deal with thoughts of bitterness and resentment over something that didn't turn out as planned or thoughts of jealousy over the apparent lucky breaks of another.

God desires that we get control of our thought life.

Paul writes that we are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." Take captive. Get it under control.

Ben Patterson in the Message translation writes, "....Fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ."

How can you get control?

Make a decision today to allow Christ to put boundaries around your thought life.
Stay away from situations that lead to tempting thoughts.
Fill your mind with positive, pure and spiritual thoughts.
Pray something like this:

"Jesus, I believe you never ask me to do anything without providing the power to accomplish it. You've asked me to take every thought captive. Now, help me to draw a line that I will not cross. Amen."

1 comment:

Jon said...

And Amen! It has been said that men are visually oriented while women are more verbally and emotionally oriented. In our society, I believe that to be true. It is especially hard at this time of year to keep my thoughts captive as the heat increases.

Lord God, I love you and want to walk in your ways. Please give me the strength to do your will, the wisdom to avoid temptation, and momentary blindness to those things that would release my thoughts from under my control. In Jesus name, Amen!