Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Being a good leader means following

Sam Rayburn once wrote, "you cannot be a leader, and ask other people to follow you, unless you know how to follow, too."

That is a wonderful statement that recognizes what Jesus teaches in the New Covenant concerning leadership and authority and responsibility.

One time Jesus was in Capernaum. He met a man, actually a centurion, who had a servant who was dying. Jesus came, and as he was near the house of the centurion, the centurion sent out some friends to say to Jesus, "Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, God, and he goes; and that one, come, and he comes. I say to my servant, do this, and he does it."

And then the Word says, "When Jesus heard this, he was amazed...."

It blew Jesus away that this man, a leader of men, knew that to be a leader, you had to know how to follow. To walk in submission and servanthood to those in authority over you.

In searching for leader in the kingdom, I try to always watch for those who are willing to be servants. For those who are willing to walk in step with leadership over them.

Are you that person today? Do you strive for authority and power for the sake of control? Or do you strive for leadership for the well being of the organization that you serve?

Interesting question. Dwell on that today.

No comments: