Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Being put on hold

Nothing can drive you and I "nuts" quicker than being "put on hold" by someone (i.e. Comcast, or any organization, group or person).
 
Am I right about that?
 
None of us likes to wait with a phone next to our ear - I mean we all have better things to do with our time.
 
But what if we are waiting on God to answer our prayer?
 
The cartoon character Ziggy is standing, looking up on a mountain.  The sky is dark and there is one cloud up there.  Ziggy says, "Have I been put on hold for the rest of my life?"
 
We pray.  We ask God for something.  And then we wait.
 
And we metaphorically shake our hands to the heavens and cry out, "Have I been put on hold for the rest of my life?"
 
You've been praying for your spouse - and there is seemingly no change.
 
You've been praying for a job, but no one wants to hire you.
 
You've been praying for a friend to come to Christ, but they remain separated from God.
 
You've been praying for a healing from a disease or sickness - and are still struggling physically.
 
"Have I been put on hold for the rest of my life?"
 
We don't wait well.  We are into microwaving, God, on the other hand, is usually into marinating.
 
I can't possibly (in one blog) give all of my thoughts about this - but here is what I know:
 
Sometimes God waits because we are thinking too small.  He wants us to ask for something bigger and He wants to give us something better.
 
Recently, Debbie and I were praying with our son, George about an unpaid internship that he was offered (for four months).
 
None of us felt good about it.  He said "no" to the company - and it wasn't long before God gave him a full time job with benefits.  If he had immediately taken the "first thing to come along," he would have missed the full time opportunity. 
 
Sometimes God waits because he wants us to be prepared for a bigger and better answer - and we are not yet ready.  God desires that we grow into our "big boy pants" so that we can use what he has given us.  Before God changes our situation, he wants to change us.
 
Sometimes God waits because our timing is off.  His timing is always perfect.  His ways are not our ways.  We think we have to "have it now," when we don't.  When the timing is right, God will say, "Let's go!"
 
My encouragement to you today is to take a step back, take a deep breath, and let God "do His thing" - all the while knowing that God will answer - and the answer will ultimately be what is best for you and for me.
 
Just some thoughts for a Wednesday.
 

No comments: