Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Where have all the servants gone?

Peter Seeger used to sing, "Where have all the flowers gone?"

I write to you today to ask:  "Where have all the servants gone?"

When Christ calls us to him - he calls us to be (above everything else) His servants.

To put others first.

It is the "American way" to strive to be number one - yet Christ calls us to be willing to be "number two."

To worship God in a way that will meet other people's needs and not just my own.

To put other's preferences before my own.

To seek first to meet other's needs before my own.

To being willing to go the extra mile in ministry.

When most people in 2013 look for a church to attend, they are looking for a church that will meet their needs in the way they want their needs met.

Not many look for a church on the basis of service and serving.

It's the "me, my, mine," decade. 

"I want what is mine," and "no one can take it from me."

"I have my rights you know."

Oh really?  Is that the Bible way?

Or does Jesus call us to pick up our responsibilities.

Leonard Bernstein, the famous orchestra conductor was asked one time, "Mr. Bernstein, what is the most difficult instrument to play?"

He responded with quick wit:

"Second fiddle.  I can get plenty of first violinists, but to find one who plays second violin with as much enthusiasm or second French horn or second flute, not that's a problem.  And yet if no one plays second, we have no harmony."

Great words.

That is one of the reasons why Jesus was so different.  Not only did he encourage us to be servants, he modeled it continually.

It is on that basis that Paul writes in Philippians 2:3-5, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests but also for the interests of others.  Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus."

Where have all the servant's gone?

J.B Phillips illustrates the challenge to live a life of servant hood when he alters the beatitudes to read as follows:

Happy are the "pushers":  for they get on in the world.

Happy are the hard-boiled:  for they never let life hurt them.

Happy are they who complain:  for they get their own way in the end.

Happy are the blasé:  for they never worry over their sins.

Happy are the slave drivers:  for they get results.

Happy of the knowledgeable men of the world:  for they know their way around.

Happy are the troublemakers:  for they make people take notice of them.

Those "beatitudes" are the exact opposite of what Jesus said.

We are to give.  We are to live unselfishly.

I caught myself singing an old chorus today as I was driving.  It goes like this:

Jesus use me, and oh Lord don't refuse me.
Surely there's a work that I can do.
And even though it's humble, Lord help my will to crumble.
Though the cost be great I'll work for you.

Where have all the servants gone?

God call you today - not to be a getter, but a giver.  Not to be someone who holds a grudge, but a forgiver.  Not to be someone who keeps score, but a forgetter.  Not a superstar, but a servant.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: