Total Pageviews

Monday, November 25, 2013

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend

I can't tell you how thrilled I was yesterday to watch 6 people baptized in water!

To hear their testimonies of God's grace and power, the power to change lives, God is moving, by His Spirit!

Ours is to work to the best of our abilities - God's is to move as he sees fit.

"God, send us more of your Spirit!  We desire more lives to be changed!"

During this Thanksgiving season, we say, "Thank you, Lord!"

What are you thankful for this week?  We encourage you to thank God daily for the one (or more things) that you are grateful for.

It was my joy and privilege to dedicate beautiful, little Josephina Grace to the Lord yesterday!

She is a beautiful baby girl.  Chris and Carolyn, Debbie and I love you and your family a lot!

Thanks to a wonderful church staff for their hard work while I was away in South Africa!

I heard great reports of the services a week ago Sunday.

Reminder:  Thanksgiving service, Tuesday, November 26th, 7:00 P.M.  Communion served.

South Africa (Cape Town) is an incredibly difficult place to get a handle on.  There are the black Africans, the white Africans, the mixed race Africans and people from all over the world.

The political scene is a convoluted mess - with President Mandela near death.

Yet God is on the throne!  God is moving!

It was a privilege to minister in a couple of settings of God's power and grace!

Thank you, Stone Church, for allowing me to go!

What I didn't get to yesterday in my sermon (our Monday morning segment):

God helps me change my thinking through His Word

That's why I am to immerse myself in God's word on a daily basis.  It is in reading the Word that I am set free. 

I choose what I put in my mind.  What I dwell on.  If fear comes into my mind, I remember 2 Timothy 1:7, that "God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of peace and love and of a sound mind."

If worry comes into my mind, I remember 1 Peter 5:7, that I can, "cast all of my cares and anxieties upon Him."

God helps me change my thinking through His Spirit

That's why worship is so important.  Every time I stand with other believers in the faith on a Sunday morning and worship Him, my mind, my emotions are being renewed.

God helps me change my thinking through His community.

That's why you and I need to be life group.  George Barna, the Gallup poll person states that 79% of all Americans would go to a small group meeting if somebody would ask them."  79%!

It will make a difference in your life - and let me tell you how.

A lot of times when something happens in your life and you have been hurt by a toxic person, you can become so emotionally hooked in with a toxic person and what they did to you that you cannot think straight.

Even when you read the bible or stand in a worship service you're not going to filter it in the right way because of the wall of hurt that you are feeling.

That's why you need a small group.

You need other people in  your life who will say to you, "have you thought about this?"  "Have you thought about that?"

"Well, no," you say, "I am confused, and so ticked and angry at that person, I can't think straight."

I can't tell you how many times in my life my small group has saved me from major relational disasters.

If you are in a small group and you haven't got to this level of fellowship, start being authentic in your group because that's what they are there for.  Remember:  vulnerability breeds vulnerability

The small group is not there just to discuss the curriculum or have a Bible study.  The group is there to help you handle the situations of life - and your toxic relationships.

When you are doing life together, when you're dealing with any problem - worry, bitterness, fear, anger, boredom, whatever, they are going to think straight when you can't think straight.

Love you all.....





No comments: