Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Radical Gratitude

This evening, the primary verse we will look at is found in 1 Thessalonians 5:18, "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

We are to give thanks, which means appreciation, recognition and praise.

The words, "give thanks" actually come from the Greek word Eucharisteo, which is the word we get "Eucharist" from - one of the words we use when we speak of communion or the Lord's Supper.

In other words, when we take communion (as we will this evening) we will be giving thanks.

"In" all circumstances.  The word "in" is the Greek word "pos" which means any, all, everything, anyone, all the time, anywhere, everywhere, the whole thing.  There are no exceptions.  No excuses and no exemptions.

God's expectation level is that we will be grateful IN every circumstance.  Not for all the negative circumstances that come our way but "in".

We aren't called to be thankful for the bad or the evil in our lives.  That in and of itself would make God evil.

There is a lot of evil in the world and not everything that happens to us is God's will. 

What is one of the first responses to bad in our lives?  Many will automatically blame God and God turns around and say, "why are you blaming me?"  "What about the choices that you have made, or your parents made, or those around you made?"

I can thank God in my circumstances because God is in control

God can always bring good out of evil in my life.  God will never stop loving me.  I am going to heaven someday.

But here's one more thought (amongst others) that I will give this evening.

Gratitude is always God's will for my life because it serves others

We are all ministers, you and I know that.  We all have a ministry.  Showing gratitude to others is a ministry.  As I appreciate others, it increases their value.  When you thank people around you it raises their value. 

Everyone needs encouragement

No one says, "I don't need a compliment.  I have too many.  Stop, stop, don't give me any more."  We all need lifting up.  I can go for six weeks on one good compliment.  Do you want to be used by God - encourage others.

Paul writes in Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholemsome talk come out of your  mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Anyone can tear others down.  But God's will for your life is to lift others up. 

Why not make this Thanksgiving week a week where with everyone you come across (in the stores as you by Christmas gifts, at the grocery store, in our church) you are lifting them up with words of thanks and encouragement?

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: