Total Pageviews

Monday, June 15, 2009

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

I played golf over the weekend (9 holes at Greystone) and two things happened.

The first one was that when I went to pay for my golf round, the person taking the money asked me if I wanted the senior discount.

I asked him, "what age do you have to be to get the senior discount?"

He said, "60"

I was not blessed by that. I know that I am 52 and all that, but 60?

I take it that I look "mature" for my age.

I've always said, "I just want to get old enough that maybe, just maybe, people will listen to me."

Well, I'm beginning to be that age, and yet, still....is anybody out there listening?

And then, when I played, I had 4 holes where I ended up with a 6....and I had a 43 (for 9 holes - not that I need to clarify that) at the end of the round.

That means for the other 5 holes I had a 19....or almost par.

What a game. Kind of like life: full of ups and downs. Victories and defeats.

Saturday morning, we had a great life group meeting with Dave Dewes (our life group ministry leader) and our pastors. If early indications are correct, we are jumping from 10 life groups to 16!

I am so thankful that the Lord is sending us godly men who are wanting to serve God as leaders in the church....and who are willing to serve.

In fact, Sunday afternoon, Debbie and I had lunch with the Mendez, Dewes and Watsons. All three couples are on "fire" for God. I call them the "A" team of our church (remember that show?)....Rambos for God. Winning people to Christ. Going for God. I love it.

Sunday morning....powerful sense of God's presence. It's wonderful to have the family together and worship and fellowship and seek God. People standing, people kneeling, people on their face before God - it's all about God - it's all about Jesus.

Our worship team is beginning to jell. We have a ways to go - but we are definitely on the right track.

And then, last night, I watched as much of "Lonesome Dove" as I could.

Back in the 80's, I read the book, long before it became a television series. The book won the Pulizer Prize. As a matter of fact, I read it while we were missionaries in France. Nothing Larry McMurtry has written before or since touches what he did with that work.

In my opinion, "Lonesome Dove" is the best western that has ever been produced.

The acting, story line, and of course scenery, make it a powerful tale of the old west.

I don't know of anything that can top "Captain Call" and "Augustus McCrea" together, speaking as Gus lies dying. Quite the scene. Two men, one who struggles with expressing his feelings, the other who wears his feelings on his sleeve.

I must admit, it chokes me up every time I see it....

I don't know of anybody who could have pulled it off better than Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.

No comments: