Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Slowing down to hear God

Sometimes God moves in our lives at the very moment that we least expect it. I think it happens more often that we are aware of. It's just that we aren't paying attention - and the moment slips on by.

I wonder how many "God events" come my way and they either pass on by or they happen and I don't recognize it?

David Moore in his book, "The Last Men's Book You Will Ever Need," writes: "My goal, as a Stanford University student, was to start a Bible study in the Sigma Chi fraternity house. For over a year I could get nothing going. Then came my "God-given opportunity disguised as a hassle."

I was rushing to the campus post office to mail some packages before the morning classes let out. A man on the free-speech platform was pointing out specific sins in the lives of people he'd never met, while claiming to be free from sin himself! God told me to go over and question him. "Sorry," I told God, "I'm not available to interact with this yahoo." But after minutes of arguing with God, I caved in and engaged him.

Several hundred students gathered. As we finished, the Sigma Chi fraternity house president approached me about debating this "evangelist" that evening. After the debate several students asked if I'd lead a Bible study in their house. I often talked with these young men until 1 or 2 a.m. I'll never forget the godly convictions forged in that study in Ecclesiastes.

I don't even remember what was in the packages I'd been set on posting, or who they were to. Slowing down to hear God, I learned, can lead to ministry overlooked when we rush through life."

"Father, slow us down long enough to recognize and follow through on the circumstances that come our way that are led by You. Amen"

No comments: