Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Doing a little jig

There's a cute story going around that goes like this:

"Mel Gibson reportedly lost his patience a few Sundays back with fellow churchgoers at Holy Family Chapel Church in what a source described as a “crazed rant.”

Angry with the congregation for gossiping about his personal life, Mel Gibson reportedly “paced back and forth, furiously telling the congregation that he would not stand by and be judged and scrutinized.”

At the Holy Family Chapel, this act was considered strangely unusual, but at a Pentecost church - completely normal."

There is a real temptation in our Christian world of non-denominational megachurches (most of whom are doing a wonderful job of ministry in the kingdom) to think that as a Pentecostal church we must somehow diminish or avoid or at least not "talk a lot about" the "things of the Spirit."

I understand the subtle tug to do so. About the 50th time someone says, "I love your church, but the goofy things that go on (like raising the hands, singing really loud, and even praying in the Spirit by using a prayer language) really freak me out," you begin to get a little gun shy.

Yet recently, in my own spirit, I am beginning to realize that perhaps, just perhaps, in a world that has a definite bent toward the supernatural (T.V. shows such as "Medium", movies that portray the supernatural, books concerning the good and bad of what lies beyond our 5 senses)an expressive relationship with God is the way to go.

Lately in our worship services, we are seeing "God move." What does that mean, "seeing God move." Does God suddenly appear as in a Star Wars movie as the "force" and chairs start to move and lamps begin to tremble?

Not at all.

It means that there is a connection between our spirit with the spirit of God that expresses itself in worship that many times is shown by singing, clapping, praying, and dancing.

Yes, I said it. The "d" word.

Last Sunday, totally without any forethought, we were singing "God is Great" and all of a sudden I caught myself "dancing" (It was more like a jumping up and down).

It lasted all of 5 seconds.

I, by my very nature, (and being a middle aged guy) am not prone to spasms of moving my body around in weird movements.

Even when I was in High School at my prom, my only experience with "dancing" was slow dancing with some girl to the tune of a Barry Manilow song.

And, "bam" - here I was, jumping up and down.

I was probably the most surprised person in the building. I would like to think that everyone was deep in prayer and not watching me - but who knows?

I would suggest that when something like that is done, truly in the Spirit, with no forethought, but spontaneously prompted by God, then - go for it. Be free to worship God.

Be free to experience God on a deeper level than coming to a one hour, "this is how God can meet your need" type setting. God is here to meet my needs. But it is more than that. I am here to humble myself before an Almighty God.

And maybe do a little jig at the same time.

No comments: