Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Speaking when no one is listening

I was told this week that the past couple of weeks I have preached with a lot of passion. As Mark Batterson writes in one of his blogs, "sometimes that translates into me speaking louder or speaking longer or speaking faster."

And, as he states, "...here is one of the harsh realities of life: not everybody is going to be as passionate about the things you're passionate about."

One of the reasons why I like our one combined service (with more people it is harder to see specific negative expressions of listening to my sermon) is that I am less apt to see the following:

Someone yawning thinking I don't see them. It has always amazed me that someone sitting 25 feet away from me can yawn and think that I don't see it. I'm not talking about a polite yawn with the hand over the mouth - I'm talking about the full Monty - mouths wide open - drool coming down the side of their mouths, head leaned back. (Yes that happens at Stone Church)

It's a real "communicating booster" for me.

And then there is the "blank stare". That might even unnerve me more than the yawn or the shake of the head (that says, "how can he be saying this stuff?").

Those who give this "blank look" seem to be somewhere, but obviously not in the building, and they give me pause to ask - "why are you here"?

And lastly (but not finally) there is the dear friend who nods off. And again...I'm not speaking of a polite bowing of the head with eyes closed. I'm talking about head on the chest, mouth open, snoring type of sleeping.

Sometimes, like Mark Battereson, I want to "shake them by their religious collar or silly slap them in the name of Jesus."

Most of the time I get in those moods because I know and realize (from being the resident shepherd) that the people who are "spaced out" are exactly the same people who specifically need the topic that I am speaking on.

UUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR......

But, to be fair, I am thankful for those who are listening. Those who are paying attention.

And one thing for sure....I know that Debbie is listening...one more reason to love her as much as I do.

No comments: