Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Having the night off

I had the night off last night. No meetings, no church service, no nothing. Just me being at home.

At first I was little anxious about it, then a little twitchy, and then kind of flat our nervous. What was I going to do with my time?

To do nothing - now there is a new concept.

I ended up watching 24 (I had taped it), American Idol (Adam is the better singer, but I hope Chris wins) and then taking a walk with Debbie (it was a beautiful evening).

Now don't be too "spiritual" on me - I needed to "veg out" a little bit....as I believe we all do.

I am learning that if I do take the evening off that the world goes on without me, that God continues to work, that life goes on.

Rest is important in all of our lives.

Someone once said, "the bow that is always bent will soon break."

I am really trying to watch that.

I have a book in my library by Tim Hansel (I have had the book since 1979) entitled, "When I Relax I Feel Guilty." The only thing is (true story)I have never taken the time to read it. Now, I just don't read it so I can tell the story.

Yet, it is important that we take time to relax.

Rest and relaxation doesn't seem to come as easily or naturally to Americans as it does to those in other nations.

According to the 2006 World Almanac and Book of Facts:

• a worker in Italy averages 42 vacation days per year.

• a worker in France: 37 days

• a worker in Germany: 35 days

• a worker in Brazil: 34 days

• a worker in the United Kingdom: 28 days

• a worker in Japan: 25 days

• a worker in America: just 13 days

The typical U.S. employee averaged 1,804 work hours in 2006. By comparison, the typical employee in Norway averaged 1,407 hours and the typical French employee, 1,564 hours.

Is that a good thing or a "no so good thing"?

In his book Stress Fractures, Charles Swindoll writes:

"I vividly remember some time back being caught in the undertow of too many commitments in too few days. It wasn't long before I was snapping at my wife and our children, choking down my food at mealtimes, and feeling irritated at those unexpected interruptions through the day. Before long, things around our home started reflecting the pattern of my hurry-up style. It was becoming unbearable.

I distinctly recall after supper one evening the words of our younger daughter, Colleen. She wanted to tell me about something important that had happened to her at school that day. She hurriedly began, "Daddy-I-wanna-tell-you-somethin'-and-I'll-tell-you-really-fast."

Suddenly realizing her frustration, I answered, "Honey, you can tell me ... and you don't have to tell me really fast. Say it slowly."

I'll never forget her answer: "Then listen slowly."

That speaks to me.

Dave Treat at the life group seminar last Saturday mentioned that there is a new rage taking America by storm. It's called "Slow food". You've heard of "fast food" the new thing is people coming together preparing a meal and spending time together.

I am in a season of my life where I am required to stay busy (I like to tell myself it is for the Kingdom's sake)....and God is not opposed to that.

But let's all have that night every so often that we do nothing and take a walk with someone dear and close to us.

Now on to the next thing.....

No comments: