Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The importance of what we are angry about

No one is immune to anger.

There's the story of a little boy who was sitting sadly on the curb beside his lawn mower, when along came a minister riding a bicycle. The minister noticed that the boy appeared discouraged, so he thought he would try to help.

"Hello there!" said the minister. "How would you like to trade your lawn mower for this bicycle?"

"Sure, mister," the little boy responded, and went on his merry way.

A few days later, the boy and the minister crossed paths again. The minister said, "I think you took me on our trade. I keep crankin' that old lawn mower, but it won't start."

"You gotta cuss it," said the little boy.

"Well I can't do that," said the minister. "I'm a preacher. I forgot about cussin' a long time ago."

The little boy answered, "Just keep on crankin', preacher; it'll come back to ya."

James writes, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and sow to become angry, for man's anger doe snot bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:19

On several a few occasion this week, I have come across people who are angry and it has caught me off guard.

It's caught me off guard not because of the anger itself (we all express ourselves in different ways) but what they are angry at.

Abortion is something we should be angry about.
Kids being killed in Chicago is something we should be angry about.
The mistreatment of the poor and racism is something we should be angry about.

I guess my word for the day is that we all should pause for just a moment and ask ourselves, "is what I am angry about really that important?"

Just a thought.

No comments: