Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Facedown worship

There's one thing I have noticed recently in the Bible: the Bible is full of facedown worshippers. People who are on their faces before God.

I would suggest to you that to worship facedown before God is the ultimate outward sign of inner reverence before God.

Matt Redman writes, "Every posture in worship says something of both the worshipper and the One being gloried in. The raising of hands tells of a soul stretched out high in praise and the worth of the One being exalted. Joyful dancing interprets a grateful heart and points in adoration to the source of that joy. When it comes to expressing our worship, what we do on the outside is a key reflection of what's taking place on the inside. Out of the overflow of our heart we speak and sing, we dance, and we bow. God reveals, and we respond. God shines and we reflect. In the very same way, facedown worship is the overflow of a heart humbled and amazed by the glory of God. FACEDOWN WORSHIP ALWAYS BEGINS AS A POSTURE OF THE HEART."

Wow. Great stuff.

The book of Revelation tells us that "all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They FELL DOWN ON THEIR FACES before the throne and worshipped God. (Revelation 7:11)

After the teaching in the second service, we had a great time in the presence of the Lord. This is an area that we want to continue to grow in as a church family. To continue to spend time in God's presence on a consistent basis.

To wait upon him

To realize his "otherness".

To dwell in his presence.

The more we plunge into the otherness of God, the more we begin to understand that worship is quite simply "all about God".

"Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory" Isaiah 43:7

"The people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise." Isaiah 43:21

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake." Isaiah 43:25

"I have refined you....for my own sake, for my own sake, I do this." Isaiah 48:10-11

The key barometer of successful worship is not, "how much did I get out of my worship experience," but "how well do I do as a worshipper in jumping into the 'otherness' of God?"

Worship is not to be a spectator thing but a participation thing.

No comments: