Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Not playing God

I read a great quote today.

"Forgiveness means that I continually am willing to forgive the other person for not being God - for not fulfilling all my needs. I, too, must ask forgiveness for not being able to fulfill other people's needs."

Wow.

Forgiveness means that I continually am willing to forgive the other person for not being God.

Sometimes we expect people to be God in our lives don't we. We expect them to meet our needs and when they don't, we get upset. We pout, we cry, we show anger, or worse yet, we separate ourselves from that individual.

Here's what I am learning. Only God can really meet my needs. Only God can ultimately satisfy me. Only God will never let me down.

You see, maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't be so hard on that person who has let me down. And maybe, just maybe, I shouldn't be so hard on myself for letting someone else down. For no one can replace God in someone else's life.

No comments: