Total Pageviews

Monday, June 04, 2007

Where is the church when it hurts?

Author and speaker Philip Yancey writes:

One day a man said to me, "You wrote a book called Where Is God When It Hurts, right?"
"Yes."

"Well, I don't have much time to read. Can you just answer that question for me in a sentence or two?"

I thought for a second and said, "I guess I'd have to answer that with another question: 'Where is the church when it hurts?'"
Where is the church when it hurts? Are we there? Do we care? Or are we out to just count "nickles and noses" as I have heard it described recently.
At First Assembly here in Battle Creek, we are becoming a church that cares. That really cares about the needs of people around us.
I was thrilled yesterday as several new families came to our church. But what was even more fun to watch was the response of our church family around them. Reaching out. Communicating. Connecting.
Truly, we are becoming a family, the body of Christ.
If you are reading this, and you don't belong to a church - come and check us out! We would love to connect with you.
We don't claim to be perfect, no church or person, or for that matter, pastor, is.
We claim to be fellow strugglers on this pilgrimage that God has given us all. Some choose to take the journey with us, some don't, but all are welcome.

No comments: