Total Pageviews

Monday, May 22, 2006

Help, I need somebody

The Beatles used to sing a song that had a great line in it, "help, I need somebody."

We all have times when we "need somebody" in our lives.

There's a story about a young boy selling pencils door-to-door in his neighborhood for a nickel apiece. One prospective buyer asked him what he planned to do with the money.

He said, "I'm trying to raise a million dollars to help build a new hospital."

The buyer said, "That's a big job for just one boy, isn't it?"

"It's not so hard," said the boy. "I've got a friend helping me."

I love that story!

It's amazing how much smaller even the biggest tasks become when you've got someone beside you. Too many times we tackle challenges alone and try to solve problems on our own -- and ultimately we learn that working this way makes us vulnerable to discouragement and defeat.

Whatever we do in life, we can't do it alone. It takes two, at least. We all need someone to help us get the job done.

I challenge you this week to consider a couple of things.

First. Take a minute to identify your support group. In each situation, think about their role and your role, how you complement one another, and how you can build on one another's strengths. Make it a point this week to focus on what's right in the relationship, not what's wrong.

Second. In the areas where you struggle -- personal, spiritual, career, ministry -- ask yourself, "Who can I bring in to help me make this better?" Whatever you're trying to accomplish, having a team member can get you there faster.

Solomon talked about this idea in Ecclesiastes. He talks about how futile it is to work alone. He reminds us, "Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor." (Ecclesiastes 3:9)

More importantly, Solomon reminds us that working with a team helps us bounce back more quickly from defeat.

"If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble." (Ecclesiastes 3:10)

Solomon finishes this thought by saying, "Two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken. (Ecclesiastes 3:12)

Do you want to put your life in overdrive? Rely upon someone around you. Or two or three. See how much more quickly you move down the road of accomplishment.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Life just seems to go better, and easier, when you have friends to help you along the way. The greatest friend, of course, is Jesus Christ and His help has been immeasurable throughout my life. But, in the physical day to day grind, it is good to have someone to share your load or to talk to about your load or who will even let you unload on them without taking offense. We all need encouragement in our lives.

Take this week for me, for instance: Monday and yesterday, I was ready to hang up my small group. Participation is down, assistance is down, spiritual growth seems to be at a standstill, my frustration is up, my career suffered a hit, I struggle with teenage rebellion from my boys, communication is a struggle at times in all my relationships. Big load for which the only solution I could see was cutting some of the weight...small group! But, then we held small group last night and things were okay. I talked with a friend today and he started to lift some of my load. I prayed about it and the worry is taken away, the frustration is less, my angst is withering. I love my small group as I know other small group leaders love theirs but I think that we all go through this at times. It can be a burden, a challenge, a real chore at times, to put this on week after week after week. It's important to do and it's important to reach out both within and outside our church.

So, what's the answer? I don't know yet but I do know that I have some friends who are willing to listen and help me work it out. They are there to lift me when I fall (yes, I fell Monday and yesterday) and they are there to support me until I can get my feet back under me (last night and today) and they are here until we can resolve what's going on in my life (from here to eternity...oh, not the movie but the remainder of my mortal existence) to put me on an even keel again.

I thank God for my friends and for His love for me. That's what gets us through the hard times!

Love God, love people.

Jon