Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The breath of God

A couple of weeks ago I have the privilege of spending the week with Jack Hayford (along with 40 other pastors).

A memorable moment was when he shared how those who present the Word of God are to rely upon God's spirit. He took a Bible and put his face over it and breathed in deep, symbolizing the fact that he was taking in the word of God through God's spirit (breath).

And then he blew that breath out on all of us, symbolizing the fact that the word of God was being breathed out upon those who were receiving what God had given him.

It was a powerful illustration of what the breath of God or the Holy Spirit can do in our lives.

God wants to "breathe" in us.

Henri Nouwen writes, "Being the living Christ today means being filled with the same Spirit that filled Jesus. Jesus and his Father are breathing the same breath, the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the intimate communion that makes Jesus and his Father one.

Jesus says, "I am in the Father and the Father is in me." (John 14:10 and "the Father and I are one" (John 10:30). It is this unity that Jesus wants to give us. That is the gift of his Holy Spirit."

We used to sing a chorus that went like this: "let it breathe on me, let it breathe on me, let the breath of God, now breathe on me"

That is my prayer today - "God breathe on and in me!"

1 comment:

Jon said...

I like that...I think I'll add that to my bible reading and prayer practice--taking a deep breath in of the Word before I start reading. It will help to focus me as I pray that God give me guidance and wisdom in my reading daily. Of course, it will require that I breath out as well and that should remind me to spread the Gospel every day (hour, minute, second) through word and deed.

Yours in Christ

Jon