Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Going to your strengths

When I was young, I was taught this phrase (from culture):  "You can be anything you want to be."  "You can do anything you want to do if you just try hard enough."
 
So the idea was to work on your weaknesses to "build yourself" up enough to obtain those goals that you set for yourself.
 
Over the years, however, I have learned that I simply can't be "anything I want to be."  All I can be is myself - and achieve those goals (God's plan for my life) within the confines of who I am - and what I can do (with the help of the Holy Spirit).
 
All I can do is to be more of who I already am - and create an environment with myself - where I will constantly go to my strengths - rather than beating myself down over my weaknesses.
 
As a youngster, I thought I would make the NBA.  But it became very apparent in the 9th grade that it was just not going to happen.  I wasn't tall enough, quick enough or fast enough.
 
I've always wanted to sing as a soloist or in a group - but some of us are just not born with a voice that is not appealing to others.
 
So what do I do?  Do I sit and lament very day that I am not in the NBA?
 
Do I lay awake at night worrying about the fact that I will never win a competition like, "The Voice?"
 
No, I go to my strengths
 
I use what God has given me - and ask His Holy Spirit to anoint.
 
I can't do everything (as a pastor) - I can only do what I can do - and bring people along side of me who can fill in the gaps.
 
I encourage you to get your eyes off of what everybody else is doing and refocus on what God wants to do in your life.
 
When I focus on God's plan for me, competition becomes irrelevant.   Your strengths compliment my weaknesses and vice versa.
 
A great prayer to pray today is:  "God, turn me away from wanting any other plan than Yours."  Psalms 119:37
 
Just a thought for a Thursday.
 

No comments: