Total Pageviews

Monday, February 24, 2014

Thoughts from the weekend

Thoughts from the weekend:

God is doing a great thing in our church!

We are experiencing some spiritual momentum.

My desire is that we ride the current wave of the Holy Spirit's moving!

Our pastoral staff just spent the morning in planning - lots of great events coming in the Spring!

Thankful for our pastoral staff team.

I am enjoying the sunshine (out my window) on this Monday. 

You really aren't thankful for what you do have until it is taken away (like sunshine and spring).

What I didn't get to in yesterday's teaching:

Constantly desiring the approval of others can be an idol.

Our goal is to ultimately seek God's approval alone - and as we attempt to do that - everything else will fall into place.

In his book Counterfeit Gods, Timothy Keller writes, "Idols generate false beliefs such as 'If I cannot achieve X, then my life won't be valid' or, 'Since I have lost or failed at Y, now I can never be happy or forgiven.'"
 
Then he illustrates this point with the following illustration:  A young woman named Mary was an accomplished musician who once attended my church. For many years she had battled mental illness and had checked in and out of psychiatric institutions. She gave me permission as her pastor to speak to her therapist …. "Mary virtually worships her parents' approval of her," her counselor told me, "and they always wanted her to be a world-class artist. She is quite good, but she's never reached the top of her profession, and she cannot live with the idea that she has disappointed her parents."
 
Medications helped to manage her depression, but they could not get to the root of it. Her problem was a false belief, driven by an idol. She told herself, "If I cannot be a well-known violinist, I have let down my parents, and my life is a failure."
 
She was distressed and guilty enough to die. When Mary began to believe the gospel, that she was saved by grace, not by musicianship, and that, "though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord shall take me in" (Psalm 27:10), she began to get relief from her idolatrous need for her parents' approval. In time her depression and anxiety began to lift, and she was able to reenter her life and musical career.

Why not seek after God's approval today - and let the rest fall into place.

Love you all.....

No comments: