Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Context

More and more, I am learning that we choose to believe what we believe.

It all goes back to perceptions - and the way we decide to look at something.

If I choose to look at something in a positive light - I will be positive.

If I choose to look at something in a negative light - I will be negative.

And it is interesting that along with the choices that we make to form our perceptions, we can be quick to rush to judgment.

Here's the thought of the day:  Understand the context of what you are hearing or seeing, and then make a decision as to how you will interpret the event (or what you have heard).

Context.

Everything has a context.

For example, you hear of someone getting upset in a certain situation - there can be a rush to judgment about their anger, until you understand the context.  The circumstances surrounding the event.

Context.

One day an old man was casually walking along a country lane with his dog and his mule. Suddenly a speeding pick-up truck careened around the corner, knocking the man, his mule, and his dog into the ditch.

The old man decided to sue the driver of the truck, seeking to recoup the cost of the damages. While the old man was on the stand, the counsel for the defense cross-examined the man by asking a simple question: "I want you to answer 'yes' or 'no' to the following question: Did you or did you not say at the time of the accident that you were 'perfectly fine'"?

And the man said, "Well, me and my dog and my mule were walking along the road … " And the counsel for defense said, "Stop, stop, I asked you, tell me 'yes' or 'no', did you say you were 'perfectly fine' at the time of the accident?"

"Well, me and my dog and my mule were walking along the road and … " The defense attorney appealed to the judge. "Your honor," he said, "the man is not answering the question. Would you please insist that he answer the question?" The judge said, "Well, he obviously wants to tell us something. Let him speak."

So the man said, "Well, me and my dog and my mule were walking along the road and this truck came around the corner far too fast, knocked us into the ditch. The driver stopped, got out of his truck, saw my dog was badly injured, went back to his truck, got his rifle, and he shot it. Then he saw that my mule had broken his leg so he shot it. 

Then he said, 'How are you?' And I said, 'I'm perfectly fine.'"

Sometimes what you have heard about a situation or even seen does not dictate the perception that you have - or whether or not your perception is correct.

It all depends upon the context.

Put things into context today, my friends.  Get all the facts.  Realize that there are two sides to every story.

Just a thought for a Tuesday.

No comments: