Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

God's vision for our lives

I am going to start a three week series on the subject of vision this Sunday.

One of the things I am learning is that we all need a vision, a plan, a mission, one specific goal for our lives.

God has created us that way.

You have a purpose for your life.

You have a plan for your life.

Our responsibility, being led by the Holy Spirit, is to find and acquire that plan.

I just had lunch with John Schwider, who knows God's plan for his life and is passionate about it. Ministering to foster kids. Leading them to Christ.

I think of Jon Hollowell, Scott Borchers and Mike Muchowicz, all who are realizing God's vision for their life: Starting an Upward Basketball ministry for boys and girls.

I think of Leisa McNamara who's passion is ministering to girls through our Impact Ministry.

I think of David Dewes who has a passion and vision for life groups.

On and on it goes in our congregation.

What is God's vision for your life?

Let me give you an example of this from the life of Chicago insurance broker Bob Muzikowski, who on his way to work on day, saw a derelict ball field full of trash in a gang-infested neighborhood.

Chuck Colson writes:

"The kids there could use a real Little League to play in, he thought. He teamed up with a friend to create the Near North Little League. In "pretty wild" early practice sessions, coaches dealt with 250 boys long on enthusiasm but short on fundamentals. Each game began with a prayer. Cursing was strictly forbidden.

"While I had no illusions that I'd change the world, I had no doubt that God wanted me to play baseball with these kids," said Muzikowski, converted not long before. "My faith had taught me that being a Christian means truly believing what Jesus said about loving my neighbor."

The next year, 400 kids joined the league. Today 900 fatherless kids in 100 Little League teams are learning self-respect and community values. Reporters wonder why a wealthy businessman lives among the poor, coaching other people's kids. Muzikowski answers, "Jesus didn't say, 'When you've paid someone to do it unto the least of these.' What he said was, 'when you have done it."

May you seek God for the vision He has for your life today.

No comments: