Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Yesterday

Mark Buehrle's great play:



















Yesterday was a pretty incredible day for me.

I came to work, got some administrative things done, and then went to my first "Opening Day," at Cellular Field.

It was a beautiful day, clear skies, 74 degrees. Perfect.

4 of the Chicago Blackhawks threw out the first pitch (I was amazed at how small those guys are).

During the National Anthem, a huge American Flag was unfurled, that covered most of the baseball field. Jets flew overhead.

Mark Buehrle's first pitch was a ball - but he went on from there to pitch a masterful 7 innings.

Two home runs, stolen bases, a diving catch to end the game, hot dogs, peanuts, it was truly a slice of heaven.

But probably the greatest event was Mark Buehrle tossing the baseball through his legs to throw out a batter at first base. I read today that the second base umpire told Gordon Beckham (second baseman for the White Sox) that they might as well, "turn off the television cameras, that was the play of the year." And truly it was.

Oh, and by the way, the score was: Chicago White Sox 6 - Cleveland Indians 0.

Then last night, I watched the Duke - Butler game. Twice, in the course of the game, I almost watched something else. The first time was at the beginning of the game where Duke jumped out ahead 6-1. Then later on in the game it was 59 to 53 or something like that - and I thought that it was over.

I continued to watch the game (and was glad I did) as Duke won, even though Bulter almost pulled it out.

What a wonderful "Hollywood Ending" it would have been. Truly a "Hoosiers" moment.

Duke won - which was to be expected - but......

Great day.

No comments: