Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big things in small places

One of my favorite movies is, "It's A Wonderful Life," starring Jimmy Stewart.

There's a great scene where George is meeting Mary in front of her house, sharing his dreams and aspirations.

Here's what George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) said:

"Mary, I know what I'm going to do tomorrow and the next day and the next year and the year after that. I'm going to leave this little town far behind, and I'm going to see the world. Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Coliseum. Then I'm coming back here, and I'll go to college and see what they know, and then I'm going to build things. I'm going to build air fields. I'm going to build skyscrapers a hundred stories high. I'm going to build bridges a mile long."

As it turns out, George is wrong. He doesn't know what he's going to do tomorrow and the next day and the next year and the year after that.

As it turns out, what he is supposed to do tomorrow is pretty much what he did today.

God's plan for him is to do the ordinary thing — which, of course, is the last thing that George wants to do. If you remember another famous scene from the film, you know that George Bailey wants to lasso the moon.

I can remember coming out of Bible school and seminary with great dreams and visions of what might be. In those days I was "aiming for the moon" as George Bailey cries out with gusto. Pastor a megachurch. Win a country for God (France). Become a nationally known speaker. Receive the adulation of my peers.

Well, things haven't quite turned out that way.

Yet here is the irony: I have achieved everything of which I truly longed for.

I am married to someone I dearly love.

I have three great wonderful kids.

I am teaching and leading a great group of people at Stone Church.

I am at peace with who I am.

There comes a time in all of our lives when we must realize who we are, that what we are doing in the present is a "great thing", that not all of us are called upon to do "great things in big places," but "great things in small places" as well.

Most days, my goals are pretty low on the horizon, get up and to go work, come home and have dinner with Debbie. Go to the gym. Try to think of something to write about for my blog.

Yet, isn't this what God is calling us to? To "lasso" our dreams and in a sense, "lower or sights" and be of great value in the kingdom of God - in the place where God has called us to?

The path to glory must always be tested by biblical principles that stand the test of time. It is the way of the cross. It is the way of humility. It is the way of realizing our place in God's kingdom. And to seek to do God's will in that calling.

So...there is validity to being where you are right now. Not as an excuse for not reaching your dreams of long ago - but as a validation of where you and I are right now, which is where God wants us to be.

Just some thoughts for a Thursday.

No comments: